Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Putting an end to the paranormal

Talking about paranormal stuff is just so cool, isn’t it? I don’t know about the girls, but I think no man can ever admit that he’s scared of watching horror on screen. And if you were to spot a bunch of eighteen year-olds discussing ghost stories, it’ll not be hard to notice that each one is waiting for the other to finish his story. Every boy wants to pounce on the rest of them with his tale, and each one hopes that his story is the one that freaks everybody the most. I have scores of tales from my engineering days to demonstrate this fact. There’s the story of Vinod Kambli’s fan, last room in the corridor girl’s room-mate, the Ambassador party, the Hotel waiter, the guy in the time capsule and many more. I mean, these are actual stories that have happened to either me or people close to me. But we won’t go into that until sometime later.

Many many years ago while in high school, I remember reading a book about paranormal stuff that people had experienced. One of the stories was about a couple that lived in some part of the world and had always wanted to visit France. Now this story happened sometime in the 70’s from what I recollect. So they decide to vacation there, and in a few weeks they find themselves checking into a hotel room in Paris. Later that evening, the husband and wife are walking down a street. Suddenly the man turns to the wife and remarks that if they were to walk till the end of the road and turn right, they would find a restaurant that went by a certain name, and he said the name of the place. The wife thought her husband was playing a fun game since they had never visited Paris before, and so how could he possibly know the name of this place and the fact that it existed there? But true to his word, they turned right at the road’s end, and found the restaurant with exactly the same name as he had said.

You might have heard this story, or something similar in the past. You might have even experienced something like this yourself. But that was in the 70’s. Let’s see what happens in the year 2009. I’m on a bike with my friend. We are headed some place in the city for some errand that I can’t recollect now. My friend is riding the bike and we are headed to this place. Now both of us haven’t been to that part of the city before. I’m hoping to get directions from people on the streets. After covering some distance, we reach a signal. My friend stops and shuts off the bike. He turns around and tells me that if you go straight from the signal and take a right, there’s a flyover and near that flyover is a Chinese restaurant by the name of Blah Blah. No passerby that we got directions from ever said anything of this kind to us. I thought it could be that this guy had come here before, but that was untrue. So obviously, this must be paranormal.

Not really. Our man had been spending too much time on Google maps before we left home. Darn it, they sucked all the fun out of ghost stories.

5 comments:

Sridevi said...

Hahaha....But the big question is, do men actually want to crawl up under the blanket and cry like a sissy while watching er..paranormal activities on screen or otherwise?

Arjun B S said...

Otherwise. (and thereby defending the male clan)

Anonymous said...

Very true. Actually nowadays I have become v habitual of using google maps. My friend is so addicted to it that he even forgot the directions to the nearest grocery store once when his iphone went out of charge.

@Sridevi
And yes, men do actually want to crawl up under the blanket... yes we do get afraid many times. I recently saw the movie paranormal activity (alone) on my laptop. For 3 weeks straight, I could not stay at home alone. I used to think that someone was watching me from the dark corner of the other room and I used to literally run (without looking back) to my gf's place pleasing all the Gods I know on my way with all the prayers my memory can store and recollect at that time.

Arjun B S said...

PNJ:

well it's just you man :P The rest of us our fine :)

An (A)mateur Beginner... said...

@ Arjun B S: A nice light read but on a serious note u literally took out all the fun of the ghost story.

And yes, girls don't always feel scared to watch paranormal stuff. It rather depends upon the interest which they have for it.

@ PNJ: How could someone be scared of the movie Paranormal activity is beyond my cognitive abilities.