Saturday, March 13, 2010

Did we get it right?

Sagar and I made the dreadful mistake of crossing an unmanned railway track at a local train station in Mumbai a couple of years ago. What a mistake. We were greeted by the railway police in normal clothes on the opposite platform. They lined us (along-with twenty others who made this stupid mistake) and took us into the station to have a ‘discussion’ with us, I guess. They kept us all in one room. The others were mostly day laborers, and being unaware of the consequences, had unassumingly walked across the tracks. A couple of minutes later, a constable came in and announced that each person would be taken into the inspector’s room where they would have to choose between spending 24 hours in jail, or paying Rs. 1500 as fine. Sagar immediately told me that till we left the station, the two of us would talk only in English or Kannada, and pretend to not know Hindi or Marathi. Guess what? That worked! The top cop gave us an earful, saw our college IDs and let us go.

Only yesterday, I was riding around my Hayabusa and the front number plate literally broke off and came out while I was on the road. I stopped, put the broken piece of metal in my bag and continued to ride. I was out looking for the first place where they make number plates. As rotten as luck can get, a few turns later at a signal, a cop spotted my bike sans the number plate, and as they so often do, he promptly walked up, turned off my gaddi and confiscated the key. So when a cop catches you, what do you do? Whatever you do, pretend like you don’t know the local language. If that ideology worked with the cops in Mumbai, then logically it should work with the cops in Bangalore too, I thought. How far from the truth was that? I rattled and rambled on in English and Top Cop wouldn’t reduce the fine by a rupee. After close to five minutes of this nonsense, I decided to give Sagar’s theory a rest and started off in Kannada. Result: Fine amount cut in half, Top Cop says he acknowledges that the number plate breaking off was unfortunate, and lets me know that his daughter is in eight semester of engineering at ABC College (don't ask why).

The approaches were of opposite nature in the above events, both leading to a desirable result. Which then is a better approach? You can most surely understand how knowing a language can help get your work done faster and in many cases as in mine, it can mean money in your pocket. But not knowing a language can sometimes cause sympathy and end up in a positive result as well.I was telling a friend recently about taking up Dutch classes. After a brief discussion, we came to a consensus that a foreign language class could be expensive. So we said, “Junk it.”

If Bachi Karkaria were to write about this fact- “How much does it cost to learn a language?” she probably would have concluded her article with:

Alec Smart said: “I know how much it costs to learn a language, but I sure don’t know how much it costs not to learn the language.”

5 comments:

Hari Sundararajan said...

haha nice one. If I remember the old joke correctly, a foreign tourist, who happens to know a n number of different languages but none of them the local language, asks 2 natives directions to a certain place in all 13 of them. But as the natives are unaware of the language, they are not able to help him. After he leaves, one of them tells the other "Man we really need to learn another language" to which his friend replies "That guy knew 13 and didn't help him one bit ..what's the point"

Sampath kumar said...

That really works if you are in a college first year and want to avoid ragging. You better not know the local language :)

Neet said...

Bro..thats Bombay for you and this is Bengaluru for you :)

Anonymous said...

its true in every city....i used to work in Bangalore....I've had my share of late night run-ins with the police there....their rate doubled with every hindi argument I used to make as I know no Kannada....i still love the city though

Anonymous said...

nice to see your nice words....


ARS Business Consulting (P) Ltd. - Taxation, Payroll Outsource Consultants in Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida - Taxation Consultants in India