Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fights Fought: 50. Clash


One of the greatest conspiracies of the 20th century was the creation and the eventual popularity of the World Wrestling Federation, or WWF. Kids that grew up on fresh air and love had their appetites filled with a perennial flow of wrestling shows on cable TV. When WWF first started beaming into Indian homes in the early 90s, it must have been a shocker. Most parents then never really had a hold on the phrase Parental Guidance or PG, and as a 12 year old, you got away watching flicks on Star Movies that were meant for older folks – like 15 and above.
 
But besides Sachin Tendulkar and Bollywood movies set in Switzerland, not many things really caught on and stayed the course the way WWF did with kids. When I look back and wonder what created the roaring success with this sport (mind you, that’s part of the conspiracy) and its viwership, you can’t take the spotlight away from Trump cards. Remember that bunch of seemingly-useless-but-my-life-revolves-around-Papa Shango’s- biceps cards? Or around an overtly cacopygian Yokozuna? God knows why they called Trump cards (hell, I don't even know if this is a proper noun or not) by that name; but doesn’t look to me like the real-estate honcho was bent on lending his name to a bunch of cards that mostly featured muscular men in their undies, and an occasional muscular lady in her two-piece.

We played them all the time. We woke up thinking about Shawn Michaels, went through the day talking about Royal Rumble and Summer Slam, spent the evening looking at Tatanka’s poster, went to bed thinking about Razor Ramon’s numbers and cursing why you didn’t say ‘clash’ earlier. And while asleep we dreamt about Mr. Perfect’s biceps when we didn’t really know what biceps meant. Some part of the body, but who cares?(ad lib. A sentence has been excluded at this point since the pun sounds obnoxiously strong for most of the readers’ liking. But if you don’t mind a dirty joke, write to me. I’ll mail you the line.)  

WWF was mostly a show of odd balls. Hulk Hogan (rank 1) was like a professor of mine in college: you could never say how old he was and he never seemed to get older than that. And for some reason, he (not my professor) hardly fought fights and yet managed to retain rank 1 for as long as they printed Trump cards. Rank 2, the legendary Shawn Michaels, many kids claimed was the only wrestler who was trained professionally. The rest were junkies off the streets. The Undertaker was rank 3. As one can expect, anything said of The Undertaker will eventually measure up as undertone. To start with, my Aunt thought he was 100taker. This dude gave cats a run for their money. The guy had more lives than the demographic department could keep a track of. To top that, there was this short, stout ‘soul-keeper’ assistant of his who carried an urn to all the fights, which, as the story goes contained 100taker’s ashes from his previous life. Remember those douche-bag stories? No one could defeat The Undertaker. Not even Ranks 1 and 2. But the hero is never without his nemesis, is he?. For Rank 3 had his spokes loosened whenever he took on Repo Man. Repo Man was this i-got-no-life-so-I’m-here-in-WWF wrestler ranked No. 83. But he did prove to be a handful for The Undertaker. Surprising, you may say. But that was part of the conspiracy.

The ranks went on, and every time a card game came down to the wire, the losing kid started saying ‘clash’ for the most un-clashable things in the hope of salvaging some last bones. That kid eventually lost. It was good fun playing these cards, and following the matches on TV. Especially the part when the gruff voice came which announced “Ladies and Gentlemen, coming in at a magnificent 480 pounds to set the stage on fire, here’s Bam Bam Bigalo.” And the crowds would go into frenzy and hold up placards that said “Bam Bam, my girl loves you more than me.”

The newspapers said some kid nearly killed his younger brother trying to work the choke slam. But here are a couple of things I gleamed from WWF many years later: 
-         That Giant Gonzalez wasn’t really 7 foot and 11 inches tall.
-         That aspiring to make it to the WWF wasn’t nearly as wise a career choice as engineering.
-         That kids who took WWF too seriously could actually end up hurting each other.
      -         That my Grandpa still remembers British Bulldog was ranked 11. 
      -         That it’s probably not a good idea to refer to The Encyclopedia of names of WWF champs: Past, Present and Future to find a name for your new born. They’ve got pretty cool names like Beefcake Barber, Andre the Giant and Lex Luger “Hands of Steel” in it. I’m not sure if I’d want my kid to be any of those.  

For years, everyone stared in awe believing the fight was for real. Then one day, some person sparked off a debate about the sense of showing such violence to young kids. It all went great for a while. And then, we fucked up the end game by calling it Entertainment.
     

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still remember myself writing "THE ROCK" on the back of my school bag to ward off potential 'fighters'. Card games were such a fad those days, the favorite pass-time during recess breaks, with WWF cards ruling the roost followed by cricket ones. WWE shows occupied my prime viewing space in school life. A day's routine consisted of school followed by watching wrestling at 5.30 in the eve.But you got to admit, more than the violence, (which at some point of maturity we realized it was just like the soaps you see on TV), there was an inexplicable style involved. There was always a storyline. Triple HHH was always the bad guy, and THE ROCK always was the good guy who used to get 'cheated'. Apart from the stunts these guys pulled off, they had excellent acting skills and oratory skills.(seriously !)

P.S- The Rock is my fav. I still have Rocky wallpapers on my PC :P. Hope no one finds me watching WWF one day to exclaim "Grow up kid !"

Tarun Goel said...

I still watch WW(F)E and just now The 100Taker beat the hell out of Chris Jericho and just after the game ended, Edge speared him to sign off in style.
Wrestle mania is near mate, gear up \m/

Prashant said...

It was educative also ...as, for the first time i realised that females dont have chest but breast..and the size was worth a clash cause the variation was not much.

neet said...

gud one mate..i cant quite put a face to repo man though!..haha..and cable tv was a luxury back then..and the kullas get together back then wud be in the kid's house with these luxuries and eagerly await the summerslam/royale rumbel on prime sports!..and those cards man..we used to play bets with the winner gettin the WWF postcards of bret hart/macho man randy savage/ultimate warrior..hahah..and am sure it inspired us to have our own wrestlin league with signature sharp shooters n piledrivers n vader bombs n wat not..lol..good ol nineties in the bengaluru..

Arjun B S said...

prashlash: They won't ever say Grow up! .. it's still fun, I know :-)

Tarun: ok.. you seem to be way too into WWE :P

Prashant: I know how you feel. Anthropology lessons reduced to a game of cards can educate really well!

Neet: well, never mind. Repo man was an idiot anyways. Here's a match betwwen 100taker and Repo man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbbcRUprOXA

Hari Om said...

never watched....
never will...
:P

Aditya said...

you have a way with words arjun, which take us back to our own lives. Nostalgia! :).
Sweet.

Spectre said...

> That kids who took WWF too seriously could actually end up hurting each other

I'd know about that. I once had my collar bone broken by an overweight kid twice my size.

The guy wanted to try out some tackle, so he 'arranged' me on the floor and then jumped on to me knee first (while my parents and his parents were talking about life, blah and this-that in the very next room).

The irony is, the TV matches these kids watch actually seem pretty damn fake (I believe they pull their punches so as not to hurt their opponents).

Aneesh@RCB said...

You brought back memories from Class 4. It was the only thing we ever did and the biggest task at school was to ensure our teachers didn't get hold of them and keep them away till 'home bell'.

It got so crazy I filled up a contest form in class 5 and made my dad drive me ten kilometres to post it directly at the Eveready office.

One week later, I got an a trip to watch WWF in Bangalore. There was Undertaker, Goldust, Bret Hart in all their glory.

I think it's still the best 'entertainment' show I've been to.

Ah, WWF and Trump Cards. Those were the days.

Sampath Kumar said...

Arjun dude
The 100taker was the best part..
Actually this sampath has not watched even a single wrestling in his life, so could not relate the characters and their respective sobriquets and idiosyncrasies. But looking at tons of comments, this post too is likely to rock just in a way MNIK is rocking in B'wood.

Ashwin said...

Oh boy! Suddenly, after reading this post, all these names come back to me like they were my best friends in the past! The statistics of each player, including Doink and Dink, are clear in my mind now! Thank you, Arjun :-)

Arjun B S said...

Hari, Aditya, Spectre, Aneesh, Sampath and Ashwin: Thanks for your words on this post! Glad we could reminisce the days from WWF. I can't say the same of Sampath though :(. But Sampath, you should try watching some wrestling videos from the 90's.

Megha Bhagat said...

I loved and still love shah rukhs movies set in Switzerland US or where ever..Yeah now i dont watch the new ones but i still see DDLJ etc ;)

Unknown said...

Can't help but reiterate like some have done previously..." Loved the 100taker" :D

This takes me back to the 90s when I watched my brothers and other guys go crazy over these "trump" cards... never understood why the boys were crazy over it!! But then again you never understand why boys do some many things that they do!! :P

I used watch WWF when it started initially.. watched it till I think I was in 8th grade... and then felt stupid watching two guys beating the crap out of each other.

One of the trump cards I was awed by were the cricket ones... that didn't stick around long though!!! but had enough GK from those cards when I met Dravid when he came to visit next door (in Rajajinagar);)

P.S: I am curious about that missing line now... :P