Friday, February 12, 2010

Another duck in the hall

Well, we’d all like to keep a blog and let the world know what our gray cells are processing this day and the next. But most of my friends I've spoken to who’ve tried a hand at blogging, and me too, in my early days of blogging had a stiff challenge to overcome. What do I write about? I mean, telling my audience fifteen reasons why I’m so cool is out. The “Sorry guys, I’ve been away for a while and haven’t been able to post” post doesn’t exactly get a rouse up; you realize that no one really misses you anyways. Most of us are no good at consistent diary entries either. Besides, you don’t want to be reading “I hit the loo 47 times today”.

Check out this article if you’re interested in building a blog that can potentially deliver a high impact with each post – something every blogger dreams about:

http://www.dailyblogtips.com/how-to-deliver-the-highest-impact-with-each-post/


On a side note however, I was talking to Sri today. She was telling me how this Chinese guy got deported from the Netherlands because he shot a duck in a public pond and took it home to fix a meal. The cops didn’t think it was cool. So, dear reader, buy a dead duck from the supermarket the next time you’re hungry in Amsterdam. And leave that air-gun at home.

But coming back to the topic of blog posts. For a long while, the way I came up with blog posts was I would keep my eyes and ears open anyplace I went. Anytime, anything sounded catchy, or I felt that I could milk 500 words out of a situation, you bore the pain of reading it here on One of Side of a Sandwich. Times have changed since then. Things are done a little differently these days. The task now is to come up with a phrase that can be a title for a post. My antennae are now tuned to identifying a set of words that can grab your attention. And 500 words on that phrase are a by-product. Well, at least 400.

I was at Hard Rock Café this evening, and they played Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd). So you take the phrase “Another brick in the wall”, throw in some pedestrian creativity, and you come with a title for a blog post called “Another duck in the hall.”

7 comments:

Sridevi said...

Yay! I'm in your blog post! Yay! Yay!

Sampath kumar said...

Dude sampath here,

congrats dude, your blog has been ranked all india top 80 :)

Arjun B S said...

thanks Sampath. but it's actually not like no. 80 or anything. A score of 80/100 and above on the Indi blogger means the blog is good ..

Prashanth Rajan said...

Naice ! thanks for the heads up on that nice site for blogging tips. Will do a world of good to bloggers like me ! And Phew ! Nederlands is some strict country !

Sowmya Gopal said...

'the way I came up with blog posts was I would keep my eyes and ears open anyplace I went. Anytime, anything sounded catchy, or I felt that I could milk 500 words out of a situation' - totally true !! my husband says I have a 'I am going to write about this in my blog' look so very often these days !

Arjun B S said...

@Prashanth: besides Netherlands being a strict country, shooting ducks in public is still not a very wise thing to do in ANY country!

@SG: >my husband says I have a 'I am going to write about this in my blog' look so very often these days !

I can so understand why he says that! I mean, few of my friends, after any interesting experience ask me if THIS is going into the blog. What they really mean is will you take names :P

Unknown said...

Oh boy!!!! Been a really long time I read your blogs.. :)
This was good.... i liked the way you ended up with "Another duck in the hall!!"

On to your next one...