Sunday, January 31, 2010

The daring young man on the flying trapeze

I told Grandpa that I’d be stepping out of the house for ten minutes to grab a copy of the Saturday issue of The Mint yesterday morning. It was 9:20 a.m. Given that the newspaper vendor isn’t too far off from home, I should have expected myself to return home by 9:30 at max. But things turned out a bit different.

I returned at 9:30 p.m instead, and had my folks worried stiff in the meantime. I could have used a mobile phone, but never mind.

I won’t go into the details of why the delay happened, but I will tell you that as I stepped out of the gate, Navneet came and we went to CTR to grab breakfast. Later, we headed off to Palace Grounds to catch the 1 o’clock show of Gemini Circus. The Matinee Show – that’s what it said on the ticket.

The only other time that I probably had such a mixed bag of emotions was when I finished watching Forrest Gump. The other occasion happened yesterday when I walked out of that tent before the show ended. You’ve probably been to a circus before. It was certainly my first time yesterday. The trapeze artists started off the show, and were quite an amazing bunch of artists; reminded me of Popeye’s tune “The daring young man on the flying trapeze”. The crowd was mostly school children in their Saturday uniforms led by the teachers, some with whistles. There were the moms and dads scattered in some seats feeding their tots curd rice out of a tiffin box. Most of these kids wanted popcorn and cotton candy anyways.

Without boring you about the string of performers and what they were up to, I’ll get down to what I really felt strongly about. It was the clowns. There was this brief 10 minutes in the 2 and half hour show where this big clown and this other midget clown had a dual act. Here I was, 23 years old, and not finding any of the clowns’ jokes funny. Two rows behind me were some 60 odd seven and eight year olds that were ROFLTAO (…Their Arses Off). How come the two of us were so far apart on the same thing? Many years back, I would have most certainly ROFLMAO at the clowns’ slapstick humor. But not today. I’ve watched way too many sitcoms and comedy flicks, and mastered complex sarcasm so well, that now; a simple and straightforward joke made by a clown that a child can get seems to shoot off tangentially to my thick skull. I was per-occupied in analyzing the costume of the jokers, and how it could have been done better.

As we stepped out of the tent, we saw the 4 elephants and 2 camels that were part of the show chained to nearby posts. Not too far from them was a traffic cop conversing with the organizers of the circus. Navneet still believes that the cop was there to write out a No Parking ticket for the misplaced elephants and camels. I think he was trying to get his way in without having to pay for the ticket. You know how these cops can be, right?

10 comments:

pradeep subudhi said...

Nice use of "ROFLTAO" and "ROFLMAO" in back to back sentences...!!!Cool way to differentiate ur a** from others!! :D

Perspectives said...

the difference b/w the reactions of a child and that of a grown up individual present a sorry but inevitable contrast.
:)

neet said...

Lol..too brief a write up for all the crazy shit in there :D ..well..that stoned dog was like "the dude" in the show..hahah..and those camels were about to "gotak" man..some sorta substance abuse wud ve made it more fun fr sure..

Sampath Kumar said...

you are right dude. I remember you watching tons of those sitcoms (c:\sitcoms) every evening and ROTFLYAO

Arjun B S said...

Subudhi: ROFLMAO!

Ajay: :-)

Neet: I know man.. it is short .. but yea.. those camels and that stoner dog were hilarious !!

Sampathkumar: hehehe! HIMYM.

Arnab said...

We shouldn't forget that we do make the lives of adults who laugh at kiddie stuff or crack such jokes a tad difficult.

......and that reminds me:

A little birdie flying high,
dropped a message from the sky.
Said the farmer wiping his eye,
"aint it lucky cows dont fly?"

Arjun B S said...

hahahaha!!

nice one Arnab :-)

Narayana Swamy K said...

hey maga.. Didnt know that you never went to a circus before! what you said was very true.. At our age , clowns are hardly perceived as objects of humor .

Pranab Jha said...

I still haven't been to a circus ever. And that won't change for another couple of yrs. Its damn expensive in US!

Arjun B S said...

Narayan: Yea man.. was my first time :-) Clowns, at our age are anything but fun/hilarious.

Pranab: Hehehe!.. but seriously.. i don't know how expensive it would be. But will sure be worth your money :-)