Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grub and tunes for the road

Did you know they have golf carts at the Infosys Training Center in Mysore? Anoop tells me it’s meant for use only for the top guys. The rest have to walk or use cycles. Similarly, IIT Madras has these battery run shuttle buses for commuting inside their beautiful campus. Such environment friendly transportation should be made a norm across other campuses as well.

Talking of buses, I was in one traveling overnight from Bangalore to Chennai earlier this week. If you’ve been on an overnight bus journey across cities, you know these guys stop at roadside dhabas. Over the last couple of years as Pratik and I made several trips across Delhi, Haryana, Punjab and Himachal, and even as recent trips in the south have shown there are a couple of observations I wish to share. Number one: almost without exception, the food served at these dhabas is miserable. Yet, the chai kicks ass. The food not only tastes bad, it looks scary as well. I mean, go to the dhabha (it’s a big one where all the buses halt) on the GT Karnal Highway between Karnal and Panipat in Haryana and check out the bread pakoras for yourself. On this bus ride between Bangalore and Chennai, the driver pulled over at this place. We don’t call them dhabas here in the south. At 2:40 am, I got out of the bus and found the guy behind a counter slicing watermelons and fixing an assortment of fruits. I bought it; it had been more than 5 hours since dinner. Here’s what I mean when I say the stuff you get is weird: the guy had taken the word assortment to a new level and had included cucumbers along with papaya, watermelon, pine apple and grapes in the salad. Yew! I bought 2 plates to amuse myself.

And the other given at these highway stopovers - they play obnoxious music really loud. As you sleepwalk out of the bus, the blast of incoherent music being played at illegal decibel levels comes as a jolt. Try it sometime.

And those golf carts at Infosys - they can be used by the other non-top employees too. But just not always. It’s for them to transport the luggage from the living quarters to the main gate up on getting the pink slip.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That single golf cart ride must be more painful than all the high decibel bus journeys (with strange fruit salads) put together!!

Navneet said...

i am so gonna travel b/w panipat and karnal JUST to check out the pakoras bro..hell yeah :D

cheato said...

how 'bout panipat to karnal on the golf cart??!!

Dew Drop said...

I'm doing these overnight travel out of Bangalore once a month, for the past two + years and I completely agree with the post:)

Just that I don't even attempt to eat anything from these Dhabbas:-)

Anoop said...

The golf cart is like walking the plank!

Narayana Swamy K said...

he he ... totally agree with you when it comes to the dhabas! Golf carts.. well.. maybe we shall get there some day!

Sampath Kumar said...

Dude how bout eating milk and bananas irrespective of where you travel.... trust me it rocks :)

Anonymous said...

Search engine Optimization
very useful, thanx a lot for this article ........ This was exactly what I was lookingfor.