Saturday, November 17, 2007

5 women in a man's life - The First

In 1997, I made the big crossing from SHS to NJS. If you aren't my friend from either of the two places, here's what they stand for – SHS is Sindhi High School and NJS is National Junior School. After class 5, I was to make the switch, much against my likes.

On the fine 'first morning' at my new school, I walked up 3 floors to class 6 A. I wore a jelly coloured yellow bag, a pair of new denims and a blue T-shirt that my uncle had gifted me for the last b'day. My feet were shaking furiously for this was my first time as a first timer in a new school. As I walked up towards the class, a million thoughts rushed through my head. Who would my friends be? Would they be as good as my old friends? Do the teachers here beat up the kids...?

I turned and faced the class trying to look absolutely unperturbed by the fact that 43 pairs of eyes were fixed on one. And the teacher said - “This is B S Arjun. He's from Sindhi High School.” And I was told to take the last seat in the corner row. As I bent my head and walked towards the benches, I couldn't help looking at a face that sat right there in the first bench. There, right there, was the cutest face I had seen in all my years till then. She had short hair, a little longer than a guy's, fair skin and dark eyes. A mole on her left cheek was the icing on the cake. And as I walked past her, my heart skipped a couple of beats, I went and sat at the end and stared at her back hoping for her to turn around so I could catch a glimpse of her one more time. Just once more.

Mrs. Sharmila was brave enough to trust a nutty lad like me to become the class monitor on day one. If she thought I could, so did I. And that did help me break the ice with Ms. Cute Mole. It took 3 attempts and several blushes after which I shamelessly said - “Hi, what's your name?”

Every man treasures his first crush. Some prefer calling it 'puppy love'. She is the first of the five women in a man's life.

Stay tuned for the next 4. Coming soon, this November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, everyone treasure them. Don't they! But the point is, how did you managed a crush on the very first day, in fact even before taking your position in the class!! lol.. that was nice...

Crushes are fun as long as one knows the difference between love and crush.

Anonymous said...

and yeah, this is my page http://supspage.wordpress.com/