Friday, September 21, 2007

Beerability and Coffeeness: Part I

Any time that I've walked into a bar or a pub for a beer, I always wind up asking for King Fisher. One my best friends has taught me that the best beer is not KF; it is in fact the South African Castle Lager (though that's very subjective).And at one of our trips to Purple Haze I did make a conscious attempt ordering for Lager. And things worked out fine between us!I say this with a heavy heart though I hate to admit this, but the stark reality is that KF is at no. 2 while Lager is no.1. Why then do i instinctively order for KF?

The answer to that is because of a certain Dr. Vijay Mallya- The King of good times, whose picture inhabits my cupboard door to remind me each morning that good things in life cost money and they are fun. Having said this, I shall embark on a subject very dear to my tongue. To Dr. Mallya, I dedicate this piece. Here is Beerability and Coffeeness: Part I.

One Saturday morning, in the year 1994, I sat down to watch Pinocchio on the morning cartoon shows. It was around 7 o clock. I lived with my grandparents then. My mother lived in another city. And like any other 7 year old, I was given a 'healthy' mug full of Bournvita each morning.But that morning, thank heavens, we were out of Bournvita at home. And I asked Granny if I could try coffee instead. Reluctantly, she served me 'light coffee'. I took my first sip, and felt like I had just met by best friend from a previous life.

We are best of pals today- coffee and I. We hang out a lot together at almost any time of the day. When I moved to the hills three years back, we were briefly separated for a long time (!) And then I knew I couldn't take it any longer without coffee. And so now, at the end of each vacation, my stock of coffee is replenished from namma bengaluru.

to be continued

1 comment:

Adhiraj said...

You too??? Amazing, I think grandparents are the best - albeit, a reluctant - source of habits parents never want you to learn. I tasted my first sip on my grandma's lap, she spoilt me pretty with light. Or, as i used to call it, coffee-milk. The 'milk' was to keep mum happy. 'Course, over time, the milk kept going down and the coffee kept increasing ;-)