Monday, June 8, 2009

It’s all in the blood

While Malleswaram sits still on a platter, here’s a small diversion before we get back to eateries that serve good food and don’t rip people off.

The theme for today’s post is about habits – specifically those that have come down the family tree because no one really bothered to stop and ask why. My grandmother, like grandparents of many of us, grew up in some pretty tough times. It was just around the time of independence and growing up on a very limited income was a challenge. Money and resources around the house in general were mostly in a shortfall. This meant that every food item or every piece of clothing had to be utilized sparingly and to the fullest extent possible.

Such was the case when the household bought milk each morning. Grandma would transfer the milk to a vessel on the stove, and the one containing the milk initially was washed well with a small quantity of water and later poured into the second vessel containing the remaining milk. This was done to ensure that not a drop of milk was wasted. Time went by and the state milk corporation started delivering milk in packets of half liter and one liter. With Grandma, the same steps applied for the plastic packets. Cut, pour, rinse and pour. But there was an additional step this time. The packet would be washed thoroughly once again with water, and the water would be allowed to drain by the kitchen sink. The inside of the cover would dry in a few hours and the now redundant milk packet would go into a big yellow plastic bag along with milk packets from the previous weeks. This collection of milk packets went on for a month or two till the big yellow bag could hold no more. Grandpa would then dispose them off to the paperwala in exchange for 2 bucks.

This practice is prevalent in many south Indian households. Watching this in action, my mother sub consciously grew habituated to cleaning milk covers and collecting them. Years rolled on and the family finances stabilized to the point where drops of milk could be deemed insignificant to the monthly budget. But the habit stayed in the blood. We lived in a fabulous neighborhood, would eat out at fine restaurants, wore good clothes and even bought a PC when PCs at home were uncommon. Yet, my mother continued to clean and dry milk covers and collected them in exchange for 10 bucks from the paperwala: not because she wanted the 10 bucks, but because she was so programmed to what her mother did that she continued to do it without once stopping and questioning the relevance of the practice in present day.

I learnt the same from my mother in my early teens. I would cut open the packet of milk, pour it, rinse the cover, pour it again, clean it, dry it and stack it. It was in the DNA. Until one day in high school, I went to a friend’s house. His mother was not at home. We decided to whip up a yummy chocolate milk shake on that summer noon. My friend opened the fridge in the kitchen and got out the packet of milk. He poured the contents into a vessel. And right there before my eyes, he threw the cover in the dustbin. I almost had a heart attack at that young age. I guess his great grand parents were well to do.

8 comments:

punee said...

same here, but the person who changed thsi tradition was my mum!!she oone day decided that it was too much of a hassle to collect the packets.it took a lil whle to adjust to this strange phenomena, even now my mum unconsciously keeps the packets one on top of the other every morning and empties the whole seven at the end of the week!!

Anonymous said...

awww, how sweet!
i cant seem to think of anything i have inherited from my granparents, via my parents :(

Narayana Swamy K said...

I remember you asking me once about this.. Its a typical south indian thing!! My mom does the same thing. Old habits die hard..

Unknown said...

Tell me about it... I used always wonder why my granny and mom did it... until one day I realised that I do the same thing.... so robotically as if it is some thing pre-programmed... :)

kalpathi said...

Shessh! U just described everyday routine at my place too :) :)

Arnab said...

Same here man!
I dont know if my mom picked up the habit in Bangalore or if the people higher up than the south in the map also practice this.

But, aint it a good way to dispose of them? We do the same with newspapers.... only the pay is better with them!!
Unfortunately, i dont follow it anymore!

Rider on the Storm said...

briiliant. My mum does it too!!! Unfortunately I wasnt such a good student!! ;)

Nishan Marc Pereira said...

holy shit....my mom used to that that too....Damm its been a year since I hav entered the kitchen...Ill check tomorrow morning and see if the practice continues..
;)
Oh btw I did that too when my mom wasn't around in the mornings ....atypical day in all our homes....