Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Who needs a life here?

You know what’s funny? It’s the choices we make. I recollect seeing rajmah for the first time in my first week of college in Hamirpur. I’m talking about that reddish brown kidney shaped group of pulses. Gosh, I hated the very sight of it in the mess. Every Tuesday night meant a trip to Ekta café, Tilak, Canteen or anywhere as far away as possible from Rajmah for Narayan , Sagar and I. And on Thursday mornings we had oats and banans for breakfast. I felt like these mess guys really needed a life. Who has oats at 7 am for crying out loud? I always waited to get out of college and get back home to Bangalore where I could have ‘good’ south Indian dosas, idliys and filter coffee for breakfast.

Now that I’ve relocated to Chennai, I must not have any problems with the food here, right? There’s dosas and idlies and pongal and gallons of filter coffee available; I just need to wave my arms to get it. But instead, I choose to have rajmah, black dal, cauliflower and rice for breakfast AND lunch. I prefer oats, banana and milk for dinner. I’m serious. It’s like when you’re growing up in India in your twenties, you’re thinking of blonds and bikinis. And after that second year in Amsterdam in your early thirties, you are thinking of gold and silk saris.

9 comments:

Tarun Goel said...

I stayed for four months in Hyderabad, then 1 month in Bangalore
Those dosas and spicy food made me (literally) cry. Now in Pune I don't miss anything I [was forced to] eat in Bangalore :D
But one thing is for sure,"Who needs a life here?" :(

Anonymous said...

freekopotamus... must you always hit the nail on the head??!!

Sunil said...

Haha!!! The funny part of life.

Hi Arjun, How are you dear?
Hows life?

Sridevi said...

rajma=yummmmm......

Anonymous said...

Brilliant entry! "Rajmah" itself is metaphorical representing all the other stuff I miss and yearn for.. :)

Seriously, who needs a life here?!

Narayana Swamy K said...

long live the man who loves KADI!!!

Anonymous said...

Oa junda,
dont worry, we will subsume other mess item also gradually :)

Bhargav said...

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence!!

Hari Om said...

First of all...
Who needs a life here...
Ye Kaha se aaya?

Second, I too witnessed and hated rajmah in NITH but still I don't like it...
Third, you are the first south indian I've seen liking .....

Fourth
Forget it.


Hey mogembo...