Friday, July 11, 2008

Corporate Baby

Stepping out of college into the corporate world can be a harrowing and fun experience. I certainly wish you noticed the oxymoron in the previous line. As I was getting ready to leave for Chennai to start work, my Mom went into her concern-for-her-little-boy mode and told me that it was now time for me to start building my own umbrella. Apparently, I had been living under the shade of the umbrella that she had built all these years (and boy was that comfortable!). And now, it was my turn.

The Umbrella could mean a whole lot of things. Initially I was narrow minded enough to assume that the Umbrella was one of money. And Money being one of my favourite subjects, I got out a pen and paper and started charting out an 'investment plan' in the dark. But as I look back to grasp the bigger picture behind the advice, I certainly understand that it's more to do with one's reputation, law abidance (and talking of which, rules are certainly meant to be followed) and mapping out a bigger picture for oneself rather than just keeping up with the Joneses; or Kumar's if you're in our country.

I'm told by my experienced colleagues at work that you need to be politically correct in the Corporate world. Back biting and judging can backfire and cause some serious damage, I'm told. Engineers might want to test it and confirm it for themselves. But I'm willing to take my colleagues' advice at face value. A corporate baby has a lot learn and the best way to do it: Don't touch the fire if you're told it's hot. I mean, listen and trust experience.

But yes the food, coffee and the glamour is good. I'm not too sure of the timings!

No comments: