Sunday, March 16, 2008

Honda is right

In October 2004, I sat in an auto with 2 others driving around the India Gate area in New Delhi. A couple of blocks away from there, we chanced up on Hotel Shangri-La. At the very first sight, my brains blew out. This was the most enchanting (yes, enchanting) 5 star I had ever seen. I got a dream that day: to go into the Hotel on invitation.

I must have driven past Shangri-La at least a dozen times after that. Every time I looked at the tall building with its majestic driveway, I felt more strongly about my dream. I sat up at wee hours during many a nights in my little AF-2, and visualised myself walking through the doorway there. How would I get an invite? When would I get it? I knew nought, but I knew that it would come.

I was at the National Round of Career Launcher's Tycoons 2008 (separate posts on this coming soon). After 4 gruelling days into the competition, we were to have the Graduation Ceremony. It was at the Shangri-La.And of course, there was an invite. At 7 pm, I walked past the gates of my dream, up the drive way, into the lobby. I climbed the stairs leading up to the banquet hall. And I thought that my dream had come true. The best was saved for the last.

Satya, the Chairman of Career Launcher called me over to the table where he was sitting. There were 30 minutes left before the start of ceremony. And he said- "Will you be the Master of Ceremony?" I jumped at that opportunity like a hungry dog. And I went on stage and compeered the night. There were dozens of CEOs, Venture Capitalists, Journos,reporters et al. in the gathering. It was humbling to talk from stage that night. I also realised what a small thinking person I had been. I asked for one time chance to go the S'la and do nothing there. I would have been on top of the world if I just sat there for an hour, sipped on lemon coriander soup and walked out. But I got what i asked for and ten folds of it.

The Power of Dreams- Honda. They are right.

4 comments:

Atal said...

It feels good to know that someone's dream is coming true. Dreams has very important role in my life also.....so may GOd!! plz also fullfil my dreams.

I also saw that hotel in the night....it is simply awesome.
Last but not the least you got a great opportunity to go there and speaking in front of a such Tycoons, I think it must have a great feeling.

Unknown said...

Its amazing to see that knowingly or unknowingly you are walking towards your dreams.... I pray God grant all your wishes and may you realize all your dreams in life.....

kalpathi said...

**yap** **yap** I think only those from SHS will understand the tern in its true sense :D

Anonymous said...

oa junda i read ur all the posts of the home page.these r awesome.i ve bookmarked ur blog :)