Friday, August 24, 2007

Things that make a difference

I often times wonder why a person would go beyond his comfort zone to get what he wants, if he wants it bad enough. Though this has intrigued me a little in the last few days, it still fails to explain why some people attract certain events in their lives effortlessly, while certain others fail to do so with humongous effort; for what ever reason that might be.

Sunday last, I walked up to room no. AS-15 and knocked hard on the door. It was Sagar's room, my ex-roomie. Satyam computers were coming over to our campus (which is a pick in itself) for recruitment's. Despite knowing that Sagar didn't have the required numbers to make the cut off, I still thought he could give it a shot. The guy opened the door with blood shot eyes. Apparently, as I later heard, he was 'busy' the previous night till 3 ;-).

As he walked towards the hall, he msged in saying 'what's the point..? I don't think there's any use in me going'.. I replied ...' A'ole, just go.. who knows.. something might click'.... and hence, go he did. Never having seen an aptitude test before, he walked into one. With 5 minutes to spare before full time, the Satyam guy threw Sagar out of the exam hall.... for disturbing (if you know what I mean).

The list of qualifiers came. Sagar had made it. He had turned up in a Tee and a pair of denims for the test. And his interview was to start in the next 10 minutes.... I rushed in with his formals. He changed. And went into the interview.

I lay half asleep on my bed. Narayan rushed in shouting - "Oye! Sagar got thru' da!" ... At that instant it seemed like the script of my dream had just changed. But 5 minutes later... as I saw a beaming Sagar kicking his feet and hands in the air.. I knew it was true. And yes.... all of us were sure glad for him. Way too glad.

Despite knowing that he would have to fight it out for getting a placement in this coll. , he had held on to that one thought for long.. And held it strongly. And he got it. There were people there in that test who didn't make it. And I'm told they had better grades than my friend. But that noon, they didn't make it. I think they didn't focus hard enough. And full points to Sagar for doing just that.

Big things in life never walk in with the drums sounding loud and the glitterati all over. They creep in through the door, when you are sleeping. And they creep in because you were expecting it. And you deserve it. And it's the expectancy that makes all the difference.

Congrats, Sagar!

4 comments:

Hari Om said...

Last 4 lines are "Fakat".

but i think this is all about !@#$ing Luck. even if you are telented and waiting for something sometimes it just go to your neighbours' room and knock insted of your......
dont want to name any one but for example take chandu.......
or even me.....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Hari Om. Last 4 likes _are_ fakat.

And yes, there is a whole lot of luck involved.

Sanchit421 said...

Congos to Sagar and a point well made by you...
Campus placements teach you a lot, biggest of all to fight for ur friends and enjoy their success...
but I would disagree wid one pt here...u deserve it yes, but u dont always expect ur fortunes to curve the way they smtimes do...its more of a retrospection after the moment has passed...

lony said...

Last 4 are awesome.....

but I don't believe in luck.

So i would say its about listening to the knock that opportunity gives on your door when it comes.
If you listen and answer it's called luck on your side else hard luck.